Willow is a television series set to premiere on Disney+ in 2022. The series is a sequel to the 1988 fantasy film Willow, with Ron Howard set to be executive producer alongside Jonathan Kasdan, Wendy Mericle, and Jon M. Chu. Chu will direct the series' pilot, with Kasdan and Mericle serving as showrunners, Warwick Davis reprising his role as Willow Ufgood, and Bob Dolman serving as a consulting producer.
Cast and characters[edit | edit source]
Episodes[edit | edit source]
|1||tba||tba||tba||Jon M. Chu|
Development[edit | edit source]
Over the years, there have been talks of a sequel to Willow. In April 2005, at Star Wars Celebration III, George Lucas and Warwick Davis commented that a television series acting as a sequel was within the realm of possibility. Davis has also expressed interest in a second theatrical installment, and said he has a story idea.
In 2018, during the promotion campaign of Solo: A Star Wars Story, director Ron Howard said that there was "a little talk" of a either a film that would focus a lot on Elora Danan or a TV series.
In May 2019, Ron Howard revealed that he and Jon Kasdan were in "really serious discussions" about developing a Willow television show for Disney's upcoming video on-demand service Disney+.
In January, 2020, it was announced that the series would be set several decades after the movie, that it would be written by screenwriter and Lucasfilm collaborator Jonathan Kasdan, and that it would feature Warwick Davis.
In December 2020, it was announced that there will be three female leads named Jade, Kit, and Dove.
On December 10, 2020, on Disney Investor Day, Disney announced that filming would begin in March 2021 in Wales, and the series would premiere in 2022.
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Jon M. Chu to direct Lucasfilm's Willow series for Disney+. Lucasfilm (October 20, 2020).
- Vespe, Eric "Quint" (December 23, 2008). 15 Things We Learned About Solo: A Star Wars Story from Ron Howard. aintitcool.com.
- Willow DVD commentary
- Adler, Shawn (June 13, 2008). Warwick Davis Enthusiastic About Possibility For 'Willow 2'.
- Schmidt, Joseph (May 12, 2018). Exclusive: Ron Howard Confirms 'Willow' Sequel Discussions. comicbook.com.
- Travis, Ben; Dyer, James; De Semlyen, Nick (June 7, 2018). 15 Things We Learned About Solo: A Star Wars Story from Ron Howard. empireonline.com.
- Paur, Joey (May 2, 2019). [hhttps://geektyrant.com/news/ron-howard-reveals-a-willow-sequel-series-is-in-serious-discussions-for-disney?fbclid=IwAR0zOzhj1P61Apn7Zu36XcREIAcELj4I3MbE18voVxYrPfCy5Z9PXha5nyI Ron Howard Reveals a WILLOW Sequel Series is in "Serious Discussions" For Disney+]. geektyrant.com.
- Reimann, Tom (January 29, 2020). Exclusive: Ron Howard Teases 'Willow' Disney Plus Series; Reveals When It Takes Place.
- Announced December 10, 2020 at Disney Investor Day.